Tony Award nominated and Metropolitan Opera Star, Garrett Sorenson and his wife Elizabeth Batton Sorenson, an internationally acclaimed mezzo and Grand Winner of the Metropolitan Opera Competition, are Louisville's premiere teachers. Students will feel comfortable in the repertoire that is assigned, and confident they can handle all aspects of performance.Their students have won numerous awards and scholarships, entering many of the most prestigious music programs of today.
Recently, students within their studio have prepared for and accomplished:
- WINNING THE TOP PRIZE, 3RD PLACE AND FINALISTS IN THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY VOCAL COMPETITION, 2014 & 2015
- Winning 1st place in the Altech Scholarship, 2019
Winning 1st place, Schmidt Competition, 2018
Winning 2nd place in the Altech Scholarship, 2015
Winning Horseshoe Scholarship, Musical Theatre, 2018
- Winning the prestigious Fund for the Arts Whittenberg Scholarship, 2013
- Winner of the Bellarmine Traditional Negro Spirituals Competition, 2015
- Admission into Governor’s School for The Arts Vocal Program
- Full talent scholarships to various college vocal programs
- Washington National Opera Institute (admission and full scholarship)
- Millions of dollars of scholarships offered to students for students who have auditioned for Voice and Musical Theatre programs in various colleges.
- 3 Premier Young Artist Scholarships for incoming freshman at Indiana University Jacob's School of Music
Marielle Hug, 18, First Place Winner of the Bellarmine Negro Spirituals Competition, 2016
Tenor, Matthew Zolla, student in 2014 & 15. Grand Winner of the University of Kentucky Vocal Competition, 2014. Sure On This Shining Night by Samuel Barber. Pianist, Sharon Lavery.
I've heard it said that luck is when preparation meets opportunity. If this is true, then my daughter is one lucky girl! After several years of studying with other teachers, she met Garrett and Elizabeth at GSA this past summer. And, after just a few lessons with them, I can see how they are taking her talent to a whole other level. She is learning breathing techniques, vocal exercises, stage presence, and music she's never had the chance to study before. I am so thrilled with her progress so far. They are taking her talent to exciting new places! Whether you are a beginner or advanced, you will love their team teaching approach. It's nothing like anything I've ever seen. Totally in awe! ♥
"Our daughter loves to sing so we took that very seriously. A plethora of friends steered us in every direction and fortunately along the way we were told of Elizabeth and Garrett. Not only have they taken her from the ensemble to centerstage, but have her loving her music even more and enjoying her abilities to the fullest. So much more than any voice instructors in the past who would force her to conform. Her confidence has never been higher and we've never seen her happier." Jim Bulleit
or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a lesson